The Data & Marketing Association
Secrets of Copywriting: Fundamentals for Direct Marketing On-Site Training
Learn how to write clear and compelling copy – for both in print and online – in just two days
Learn how to write clear and compelling copy – for both in print and online – in just two days. Through lively lecture and discussion, real-life examples and fun exercises, you’ll gain new insights into the art and science of direct-response copywriting – and practical knowledge you can use immediately to boost response and lifetime value.
Benefits of Attending
Just starting out? Looking to recharge? This seminar’s for you!SPECIAL FEATURE! Roll up your sleeves and get ready to write!
Whether you write or manage the development of direct-response creative, you’ll discover dozens of new ways to streamline copy and get the results you want. Learn how to truly motivate people to respond, create powerful branding concepts that take advantage of the various media, and develop offers consistent with your goals. More than just the writing of copy, you’ll learn how to establish enduring relationships with your creative that maximize ROI.
- Practice the new writing, editing, and concept development skills you'll learn in engaging individual and group exercises.
- Bring samples of your writing and benefit from valuable group critiques that’ll help you grow and succeed. Please bring 10 – 15 copies for the group to share.
Please bring your laptop. You will enjoy a number of writing exercises to improve your writing skills.
Who Should Attend
This training will be valuable for anyone who influences the development and creation of direct response copy, including:
- Account Executives
- Ad Directors
- Association Managers
- Creative Directors
- Communications Managers
- Marketing Managers
Why You Should Attend
Learn how a good copywriter can become great. This course lays out every step for you. Leaving no tools or strategies unexplored, we’ll provide answers to all your questions, including:
- How can I get the envelope, letter, brochure – everything in the package –to work together for maximum impact?
- Are there certain power words I should be using?
- Writing is hard – are there any shortcuts that will make it easier?
- What are the latest strategies for increasing click-through?
- How can I create the best offer?
- What’s the secret to writing powerful headlines?
Attend DMA's Secrets of Copywriting Seminar and gain answers to these questions as well as formulas, tips, secrets and proven strategies for writing copy that sells.
You will receive a workbook packed with valuable information you can continually reference back on the job. It includes proven techniques, checklists, guidelines, and a wealth of other methods for improving your company's results. Plus, there is ample space for you to take notes and highlight new ideas as they are presented during class discussions.
Attendees tell us this workbook alone is worth the price of admission!
Continuing Education Units Awarded
Continuing Education Units may be used as evidence of your new skills and educational accomplishments. Attendees earn .8 CEUs per day. You will be mailed your certificate of completion reflecting CEUs earned.
DAY 19:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Please arrive 30 minutes earlier than the start time to register. Continental breakfast will be served.
Get into Your Customer’s Mind
- Where great copy starts (Hint: It’s NOT in the marketing department)
- Beyond demographics and psychographics: How to find out what customers and prospects are truly thinking and feeling
- How knowing what people are looking for will power up your vocabulary
- Leveraging the power of both branding and direct for super results
Develop a Winning Concept
- Does your copy address customer needs, wants, fears? How to turn features into benefits
- Examining lists, offers, and creative: Are they the solution – and not the problem?
- It’s all about relationships: The power of copy to turn prospects into lifelong customers
- Are you unknowingly failing to differentiate between end user, decision influencer, and decision-maker?
- Know what you’re really selling – and use this insight to create viable, compelling offers
- The hard-to-ignore role campaign goals play in developing offers and strategies
- Creating the Selling Hypothesis and Positioning Statement – 2 building blocks of great creative
- Pitfalls in concept development – and how to avoid them
Never Underestimate the Power of Words in Direct Marketing
- Identifying – and overcoming – common challenges that make writing difficult
- How to determine and set up your ideal writing environment – and double your effectiveness
- Simple tips the pros use to break through writer’s block and start writing
- Essential editing advice for making copy succinct – even dramatic
Apply the Long-Standing Principles of Effective Copywriting
- New challenges our “visual society” presents and how you must adapt your copy
- How to get the information and resources you need to succeed – starting with the creative brief
- Stop wasting time! Rules of thumb for writing more efficiently
- Is your audience B-to-B or B-to-C? How your approach must change
- Writing subheads and heads that draw attention like a magnet
- The problem with using humor and puns – be careful!
Develop a DM Package That’s Right on Target
- The essential components of an effective DM package and how to integrate them
- Tricks of the trade for getting envelopes opened
- Organize your letter copy and establish rapport with the reader – 2 useful formulas
- Your concept’s great – but does the look and feel of your letter copy support it?
- 20 titles for reply forms that will get customers so excited about the offer they respond
- The often-overlooked – but vital – difference between a lift letter and buckslip
:Lunch will be served each day to facilitate networking with your peers.
9:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
Create Interactive E-Mail, Ads, and Web sites
- Keys for creating a brochure that brings your concept to life and sells
- How to stand out in a crowded marketplace using folds, die-cuts and other production techniques
- Which direct mail secrets work in cyber world … which don’t … and why
- 4 E’s for tackling your toughest challenges when writing “virtual” copy
- 8 truths about online media
- What many writers don’t know about avoiding spam filters and getting messages opened and read
- Achieving greater click-through – little-known techniques that will pay off big time
- New strategies for tackling the tough challenge of online advertising
- Understanding ad formats – and how to make the most of limited space
- Copy strategies for creating Web sites that are welcoming and easy-to-navigate
- Beware of the 8-second rule when writing online copy
- How to integrate your media to give your campaign consistency, momentum, and oomph
- 9 important rules for writing successful onl
Add to favorites
Email this page