National Seminars Group
Business Grammar & Proofreading On-Site Training
We've taken the dread out of learning these essential business skills and created a course that's actually INTERESTING and FUN to attend!
Business Grammar & Proofreading is a new one-day workshop that
features a phenomenal, "no-fear approach" to business grammar and proofreading
skills. This skill-packed program has been designed for busy professionals like
you who want a super-fast, easy way to brush up on grammar, spelling,
proofreading, and business usage.
We've boiled down hundreds of grammar and usage rules to "the most important
of the most important," focusing on those contemporary grammar skills that will
make the biggest, most immediate impact on your written business communication.
This fast-paced, interactive learning adventure presents information in
easy-to-grasp concepts that make learning fun -- and painless. You'll be startled
at how much you'll absorb, retain and enjoy!
An important feature of our exceptional workshop is a special update on the
newest standards in business usage. You'll discover how to handle courtesy
titles, gender-pronoun problems, terms that may be considered insensitive or
even offensive, and fresh alternatives to outdated words and phrases that have
fallen out of favor.
Packed with tips, tricks and easy-to-remember techniques, this workshop is a
must-attend event for you if any part of your job involves communicating in
writing. Whether you prepare formal business reports, proofread business
letters, send e-mail to customers or clients, or jot memos to your boss, the
skills you'll learn will add professional polish -- and accuracy -- to every
sentence you write!
Don't wait any longer to get the crucial grammar and proofreading skills you
need to shine like the credible, capable professional you are. Enroll today!
Director of Curriculum
Out With the Old Business Communication Rules and in With the New!
- Still clinging to "old" business writing and usage ideas? Professional
examples of how modern, written business communication should sound
- Why a casual, friendly tone is key to contemporary business
- Strategies for eliminating stiff, formal language and avoiding wordiness
- Understanding why concise communication is imperative today, whether
you're writing a formal report or an e-mail
- Most-often misused words in business documents, including words that
"Must-Know" Grammar Basics for Blunder-Free Writing
- Image-crippling mistakes to avoid: Grammar blunders that professionals
most frequently make
- What a misplaced modifier is and how it can wreak havoc with your
- A simple way to make sure your subjects and verbs agree -- guaranteed!
- "That's up to you and I" or "that's up to you and ME"? How to choose the
- Handy grammar resources that will provide answers to even your trickiest
Smart Ways to Rev Up Your Sentences -- and Polish Your Professional Image!
- How to use active verbs and voice to communicate more powerfully
- Wake up your readers by slashing adjectives and dumping unnecessary
- Tips for using varying sentence patterns and sentence lengths to express
- Less is more: "How-to's" for trimming the fat from your documents
- Pointers for adding zing to your written communication
Handy "Cheat Sheets" for Capitalization, Numbers and Abbreviations
- The 10 Commandments of Capitalization for business communication
- Rules for capitalizing professional titles and names of things
- The Rule of 10 for spelling numbers and expressing them in figures
- When -- and how -- to abbreviate and when to spell it out
Punctuation Made Easy for the Semicolon-Challenged!
- Punctuation mistakes that are instant credibility killers -- ones you'll
never again make!
- Avoid "comma-itis" by knowing when a comma is essential
- Easy ways to keep semicolons and commas straight
- Correctly using apostrophe-"s" or "s"-apostrophe to keep your meaning
- When (and why) to use parentheses
- Understanding when you need quotation marks and how to use them with
- Punctuation rules that were made to be broken and when it's a good idea
to break them
Secrets of Goof-Proof Spelling
- A list to keep at hand from now on: The 100 most-often misspelled words
in business communication
- 5 golden spelling rules every professional should memorize
- "Occuring" or "occurring"? The handy rule for adding word endings
- Hear are example of why you can't depend on spell-checker to get your
spelling write all the thyme
- Resources to check for the correct spelling of the newest words in our
New Business Usage Standards: R.I.P. to "Dear Gentlemen"
- Guidelines for handling courtesy titles in business communication
- Fresh, new options for salutations in business correspondence
- Nonsexist alternatives guaranteed to help you steer clear of offensive
- Solutions to gender-based pronoun problems
- Pet phrases and outdated words that need to be put out to pasture
Proofread Like a Pro to Catch Embarrassing Errors Before They "Go Public"
- Are you proofreading or editing? Why it's important to know the
difference before you start reading
- Tips for proofreading quickly without sacrificing accuracy
- Visual tricks that will help you catch hard-to-find errors such as
duplicate words and omitted letters
- The secret to spotting your own typos and grammatical errors
- How to proofread numbers with 100 percent accuracy every time
- A proofreading checklist that will serve as your "safety net" so you can
rest easy, knowing you've caught every error