National Seminars Group
Secrets to Effective Records Management On-Site Training
Organization, Retrieval, and Destruction Strategies for Electronic and Paper Files
Take a look around your office or cubicle. If your boss asked you for
important information right now, would you be able to find it right away? Are
you 100 percent certain that everything you’ve pitched into the trashcan could
legally be thrown away? Join us for Secrets to Effective Records Management and
turn your work space into a place more conducive to creativity, efficiency, and
How much time would you save if every file you needed took less than a
minute to locate?
It’s staggering to think about how much more effective you’d be in your job
just by mastering a few records-management techniques that are simple to learn
and amazingly easy to implement at work!
Time-management experts say that the average worker wastes up to three full
work weeks annually just searching for misplaced papers and files. And office
managers spend TWICE that amount of time!
With the highly effective strategies you’ll learn with us, you – and your
co-workers – will be able to find any file at a moment’s notice … save space by
destroying files you don’t need anymore and aren’t legally obligated to keep …
and track every file that leaves your department like a bloodhound.
Changing legal requirements make throwing anything away a gamble – do you
know what you need to keep?
Do you really need to know the legalities behind records management? Upcoming
changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure place more importance on
electronic files than in the past. Recent court cases have come down against
organizations to the tune of several million dollars in fines. Wouldn’t you
rather be proactive than reactive?
Give yourself and your company peace of mind with this one-day workshop.
We’ll get you up-to-date on the legal requirements surrounding records
management – from safeguarding sensitive company information to current
legislation that every employee in America should be familiar with!
What You'll Learn:
How Will You Benefit From This Training?
- Modernize and simplify your department’s outdated filing system.
- Make document searches on your PC a piece of cake.
- Increase your personal productivity several times over.
- Identify weaknesses and flaws in your recordkeeping processes – and fix
- Make sure that only the people who NEED access to your files GET access to
- Store and retrieve critical electronic information more effectively.
- Select the best filing system for your needs – and your personality – to
make it stick.
- Eliminate those lovely piles of files that dot your office landscape.
- Win back valuable floor space, closet space, file space, drawer space and
more because every file has it’s place.
- Clean up that desktop (can you even SEE your computer’s wallpaper through
all those icons?).
- Create a system that anyone can use even when you’re out of the office.
- Keep yourself and your company legally safe from misplaced or accidentally
destroyed documents and files that you may need later in court.
- Gain the latest tools and software that make recordkeeping and filing
- Know exactly what, when, and how to back-up your computer files so you
never lose another file again.
- Enable yourself to find any file anywhere, NOW.
Who Should Attend?
- HR managers and staff
- Office managers
- Compliance and safety officers
- “Gatekeepers” of vital corporate data
- Legal assistants
- Medical records professionals
- Administrative assistants
- Anyone expected to find critical information at a moment’s notice
Introduction to Effective Records Management and Flow
- The importance of solid records management and organization in today’s
- The critical difference between paper records management and electronic
- The definition of records management, what it is – and what it isn’t
- Benefits of establishing and maintaining control over records
- The two basic elements critical to successful records management
- Getting the lingo down: glossary of key terms
Assessing and Auditing Your Current Filing Systems and Processes
- A step-by-step guide to conducting a quick, easy, and amazingly accurate
- Tools you’ll need to perform a successful audit and why you’ll shoot
yourself in the foot if you don’t use them
- What are primary and secondary classifications and why you need to make
sure you distinguish between the two
- How to identify mission-critical information
- The 3 attributes of record integrity
Developing a Strategic Records- Management System
- Using organizational goals as a springboard to a personal system and
- Identify core business processes
- Work flow and supporting documentation
- Identify your vital records and maintain the lifeblood of the organization
- Winning records-management strategies and selecting the one that works for
- A quick overview of the most popular and successful filing and management
- How to use simple project-management tools to help you manage a mountain
- Creating record streams and channels that guarantee you’ll remain in
control of your files forever
Information Lifecycle Management: Strategies to Categorize Records and
- How to identify records that you need to keep close- at-hand, file nearby,
or store elsewhere
- What your HR department (and your corporate counsel) wants you to know
about record storage
- When, what, and how to dispose of your records and stay legally safe
- 4 ways to classify information and sources of information
- A simple 7-step records-management plan: Solutions for common filing
- Controlling information from the get-go: Forms management anyone can
Developing a Filing System With Split-Second File Retrieval Abilities
- The 4 best ways to organize your files
- How to more effectively process records and files for filing and re-filing
- Cross-referencing your files so that nothing gets lost, misplaced, or
- How to create a simple cross-referencing form for centralized and
decentralized filing systems
- Developing a disaster-recovery plan
- A quick review of the critical link between records retention and
disasters (both natural and man-made)
Keeping It Clean & Clear: Records-Retention Plans, Schedules, and Execution
- The 4 steps of records retention
- Implementing a records-retention schedule that fits YOUR schedule
- SPECIAL BONUS: Your “Should I Keep It?” retention decision-making guide
- How to establish an archive for permanent-records preservation
- Purging your obsolete records
- How to incorporate “human factors” into your organizational processes
- How to train co-workers and staff to honor – and use – your system
Special Section: Using Outside Vendors
- How to know when it’s time to call in help and use outside vendors
- The pros and cons of commercial records-